San Diego based Performance Plastics, a Shimtech Industries company, has been manufacturing and supplying high value, precision-engineered composite and metal bonded aero structure components and sub-assemblies to major aerospace OEMs and tier one suppliers for over forty years.
We are located in the Otay Mesa area of San Diego, just north of the US-Mexico border and a pleasant drive free of traffic-jams for most San Diego residents.
Reporting to the President, the HS&E Manager at PPI is an integral part of the company’s leadership team, responsible for developing and executing policies to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations. The HS&E Manager will lead the company in instituting a culture and practices leading to safe and healthful working environment and a reduced environmental footprint. The HS&E Manager will play a fundamental role in building an environment of trust and confidence within the PPI team.
- Ensure environmental and occupational safety regulatory compliance (both US and California regulations).
- Design and implement programs that minimize risk to the company due to environmental or occupational health incidents and property loss events.
- Develop the organization’s safety and environmental strategy and specific annual goals and objectives in line with the business annual operating plan to achieve product safety, growth and profitability.
- Strategic advisor for the organization in all safety and environmental matters and as the primary liaison between PPI and other companies within the organization.
- Implement continuous improvement projects to reduce safety & environmental costs and liabilities, considering product safety requirements.
- Act as the representative and counsel for all safety & environmental matters, inspections and audits, and act as the liaison between the organization and local, state and federal governmental agencies.
- Develop, recommend and deploy practical, functional approaches and strategies to resolve identified safety & environmental issues, concerns and identified opportunities.
- Provide safety & environmental expertise for new or modified processes to ensure that environmental impacts are considered, and appropriate controls are established to eliminate or reduce risks.
- Advice top management and corporate executives about significant safety and environmental impacts or risks; provide leadership and recommend plan of action.
- Provide technical support and facilitate resource allocation for resolution of significant HS&E matters.
- Provide orientation and training on HS&E matters for PPI personnel and stakeholders as needed.
- Coordinate the use and selection of key external partners for HS&E technical solutions.
- Facilitate and coordinate safety committees as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science (preferred) or another relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the occupational safety and environmental field.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in risk management activities, including management of workers compensation.
- Strong knowledge of health, safety, and industrial hygiene best practices, regulations, processes and world class management.
- Knowledge of all waste management and waste minimization type processes.
- Knowledge of best management practices in manufacturing.
- Knowledge of security and emergency management.
- Strong knowledge of workers compensation.
- Knowledge of medical practices related to occupational injuries.
- Knowledge of ISO certification standards.
- Knowledge of effective auditing skills and response.
- Strong knowledge of problem solving, investigative and root cause identification processes.
- Assertive communication skills.
- Extensive Computer Skills.
- Time Management Skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Strategic Planning â Capability to translate strategic plans into actionable milestones and tasks.
- Change Agent â Capable of implementing change and being open to change.
- Must be able to travel on occasion by air and ground as needed.
- Must be able to able to wear comprehensive personal protective equipment as needed.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods when necessary and to carry equipment relevant to the job as needed.
- Must be able to work in industrial environments as needed.
This position requires the use of information which is subject to compliance with International Traffic Arms Regulations (ITAR). To conform to U.S. Government export regulations/ITAR, applicants must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S. (or, green card holder), protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Applicants cannot be hired until they are qualified to have such access. Some positions due to contracts will require current U.S. Citizenship.
Performance Plastics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.